Annotated Bibliography of Macbeth Criticism
[Click on the title of any item to see the full citation and a short review.]
- Adelman, Janet. "'Born of Woman': Fantasies of Maternal Power in Macbeth." 1987.
- Topic: The play as symbolic of the struggle between masculine and feminine identity.
- Bartholomeusz, Dennis. Macbeth and the Players. 1969.
- Topic: Actors' interpretations of the parts of Macbeth and Lady Macbeth.
- Berger, Harry, Jr. "The Early Scenes of Macbeth." 1980.
- Topic: Contrarian view of King Duncan and the health of the Scottish body politic.
- Blissett, William. "The Secret'st Man of Blood." 1959.
- Topics: Dramatic irony. Motifs of "air, blood, seed, and time."
- Booth, Stephen. "Macbeth, Aristotle, Definition, and Tragedy." 1983.
- Topics: Tragedy, Macbeth.
- Bradley, A. C. Shakespearean Tragedy. 1905.
- Topics: Atmosphere, the Witches, character analysis.
- Brooks, Cleanth. "The Naked Babe and the Cloak of Manliness." 1947.
- Topics: Metaphors in Macbeth.
- Calderwood, James L. Macbeth and Tragic Action. 1986.
- Topics: Avant-garde theories about Macbeth.
- Driver, Tom F. "The Uses of Time: Oedipus
Tyrannus and Macbeth." 1960.
- Topic: Macbeth v. Time.
- Elliott, G. R. Dramatic Providence in Macbeth.
- Topic: A Christian approach to Macbeth.
- Everett, Barbara. "Macbeth: Succeeding." 1989.
- Topic: The failure of Macbeth's success.
- Felperin, Howard. Shakespearean Representation. 1977.
Topic: The modernity of Macbeth.
- Fergusson, Francis. "Macbeth as the Imitation of an Action." 1952.
- Topic: Macbeth as "the imitation of an action . . . which may be indicated by the phrase 'to outrun the pauser, reason'."
- Foakes, R. A. "Images of death: ambition in Macbeth." 1982.
- Topic: Macbeth's ambition.
- Frye, Northrop. Fools of Time: Studies in
Shakespearean Tragedy. 1967.
- Topic: The nature of tragedy, kinds of tragedy.
- Gardner, Helen. "Milton's 'Satan' and The Theme of Damnation in Elizabethan Tragedy." 1948.
- Topic: "the deforming of a creature in its
origin bright and good, by its own willed persistence in acts against its
- Gohlke, Madelon. "'I wooed thee with my
sword': Shakespeare's Tragic Paradigms." 1980.
- Topic: Feminine values in Macbeth.
- Goldberg, Jonathan. "Speculations: Macbeth and
- Topic: Deconstructionist speculations.
- Goldman, Michael. "Speaking Evil: Language and Action in
- Topic: Macbeth's psyche.
- Greenblatt, Stephen. "Shakespeare Bewitched." 1993.
- Topic: Shakespeare's treatment of the Witches.
- Heilman, Robert B. "The Criminal as Tragic Hero: Dramatic Methods." 1966.
- Topic: The problem of how or whether the audience identifies with Macbeth.
- Holloway, John. The Story of the Night. 1961.
- Topic: Revolt v. Providence.
- Hopkins, Lisa. The Shakespearean
- Topic: Feminist view of Shakespeare's portrayal of marriage.
- Hunter, Robert. Shakespeare and the Mystery of God's
- Topic: Macbeth in light of Christian theories about damnation.
- Jorgensen, Paul. Our Naked Frailties:
Sensational Art and Meaning in Macbeth. 1971.
- Topic: The sources of the emotional effect of Macbeth.
- Kahn, Coppélia. "The Milking Babe and the Bloody Man in
Coriolanus and Macbeth." 1981.
- Topic: Macbeth's manliness.
- Kimbrough, Robert. "Macbeth: The Prisoner of Gender." 1983.
- Topic: "the personal and social destructiveness of polarized masculinity and femininity"
- Kirsch, Arthur. The Passions of Shakespeare's Tragic Heroes. 1990.
- Topic: The truth to life of Macbeth's character.
- Knights, L. C. "How Many Children Had Lady Macbeth?" 1933.
- Topic: "How should we read Shakespeare?"
- Mack, Maynard. "The Many Faces of Macbeth." 1993.
- Topic: Various observations about the play.
- Mack, Maynard Jr. "The Voice in the Sword." 1973.
- Topic: The meaning of kingship.
- McAlindon, T. Shakespeare's tragic cosmos. 1991.
- Topic: Various themes in Macbeth.
- McElroy, Bernard. "Macbeth: The Torture of the Mind." 1973.
- Topic: Macbeth as a tragic hero who is repulsed by his own criminality.
- Moretti, Franco. "'A Huge Eclipse': Tragic Form and the Deconsecration of Sovereignty." 1982.
- Topic: The historical consequences of the tragic form.
- Muir, Kenneth. Shakespeare: The Great Tragedies. 1966.
- Topic: Various.
- Mullaney, Steven. The Place of the Stage 1988.
- Topic: "the negotiation and production of social meaning"
- Murray, J. Middleton. "The Time Has Been." 1936.
- Topic: The effect of their crime on Macbeth and Lady Macbeth.
- Norbrook, David. "Macbeth and the Politics of Historiography." 1987.
- Topic: Relationship between Macbeth and political ideologies of Shakespeare's time.
- Paul, Henry N. "The Royal Play of Macbeth. 1950.
- Topic: The influence of King James on the writing of Macbeth.
- Rosen, Michael. Shakespeare and the Craft of Tragedy. 1964.
- Topics: The audience's reaction to Macbeth's character.
- Rosenberg, Marvin. The Masks of Macbeth. 1978.
- Topics: All the different ways that Macbeth has been viewed by critics and played on stage.
- Sanders, Wilbur. The Dramatist and the Received Idea. 1968.
- Topic: Shakespeare's philosophical complexity.
- Sewell, Arthur. Character and Society in Shakespeare. 1951.
- Topic: Macbeth as a sociopath.
- Sinfield, Alan. "Macbeth: history, ideology, and intellectuals." 1986.
- Topic: "Oppositional analysis" of the play's political implications.
- Spender, Stephen. "Time, Violence, and Macbeth." 1941.
- Topic: The theme of time in Macbeth.
- Spurgeon, Caroline. "Shakespeare's Imagery in Macbeth." 1935.
- Topic: Imagery, particularly the images of Macbeth's clothes.
- Stallybrass, Peter. "Macbeth and witchcraft." 1982.
- Topic: Witchcraft as a patriarchal construct.
- Stirling, Brents. "'Look, how our partner's rapt'." 1956.
- Topic: Themes of "darkness, sleep, raptness, and contradiction."
- Thompson, Edward H. "Macbeth, King James and the Witches." 1993.
- Topic: The background of Shakespeare's portrayal of the Witches.
- Waith, Eugene M. "Manhood and Valor in Macbeth." 1950.
- Topic: Moral and humane manhood v. manhood as simple valor.
- Wells, Stanley. "A Scottish Tragedy: Macbeth." 1994.
- Topic: General introduction.
- Whitaker, Virgil K. The Mirror up to Nature: The Technique of Shakespeare's Tragedies. 1965.
- Topic: Christian interpretation.
- Willbern, David. "Phantasmagoric Macbeth." 1986.
- Topic: Psychoanalytic interpretation.
- Williams, Raymond. "Monologue in Macbeth." 1983.
- Topic: Types of soliloquies and monologues.
- Wilson, Harold S. On the Design of Shakespearean Tragedy. 1957.
- Topics: Tragedy, Macbeth's character.